Thursday, October 14, 2010

#4 - Perfectly Wrong

I have a condition.  A condition that for many years I chose to ignore, because I wasn’t altogether sure it was real – sort of like Bieber Fever.  Finally convinced that denial was getting me nowhere, I decided to seek help.  So, about ten years ago I scrounged up a co-pay and went to a doctor who confirmed my suspicions; I was clinically depressed.  Even as I write these words, I wonder if I'm making it all up, merely because I don't have any real problems.  But, for the most part, I’ve learned to live with the reality of having a chemical imbalance, and one that will likely never go away.  My depression isn’t always manifest, and I have different triggers that set it off.  Sometimes it’s my natural biorhythm, or maybe when I forget to take my medicine.  Sometimes it’s just stress and fatigue.  One of the catalysts, however, is counterintuitive.  It is when life seems perfect.  Too perfect.

Like the fake lake in the middle of my in-laws master planned community.  I don’t know what they put in the water to make it neon blue, but I’m pretty sure it’s the same stuff my grandmother used to put in her toilet bowl.  Or the precision-manicured trees, hedges, and lawns in my own neighborhood (deed restrictions require each new home that is built in my section to have exactly 2 oaks trees, or 1 pine and 1 oak…you know, just to make the place look more natural).  Every time I drive by a new strip center that is an exact replica of the thirty I’ve just passed – complete with a bank, nail salon, and donut shop – a small piece of me dies inside. Every once in awhile, I’ll see a rebellion in the making, and I get a little giddy.  Such as when a real estate agent makes the gutsy call to put up a billboard without a glamour shot.  Or the time my neighbor uprooted his standard-issue oak and replaced it with a (gasp) palm tree.  I love it when people stick it to the man.

Nothing saps my soul, however, more than ‘relational’ perfection.  And unfortunately, many of my relationships are perfect…reduced to some superficial glad-handing and trite well-wishes, as brief as they are forgettable.  I can be all tied up in knots, feeling direction-less in my job, but be more compelled to chat about how grateful I am that fall has finally arrived.  Walking into church on Sunday morning, I will give a handful of hearty back slaps and side hugs, but tell no one that I just yelled at my kids for their incessant squabbling.  Why let on to close friends that Su and I are disconnected, when NFL talk is much less awkward?  If I’m feeling especially vulnerable, maybe I’ll confide that one of my co-workers is struggling with gossip.

I suppose that small talk has its place, but I’ve never been any good at it (if I’ve ever dished with you about, for instance, the inbound traffic congestion on I-45, you’ll know what I mean).  If I never had another meaningless conversation again, I think I’d be okay.  Not to say that every interaction has to be some deep, gut-wrenching disclosure of our deepest wounds.  But I’d love to engage in sincere, honest discussions about the stuff that really matters.  I want to tell you what I’m pumped about, and hear the same from you.  I want to talk about our triumphs and our screw-ups.  I want to talk about what we’re actually thinking about, and not just the sterilized version.  I want, when asked, ‘How’s it going?’, for my first instinct not to be a lie. 

Then again, maybe it’d just be easier to stay surface-y.  After all, you may not like what you see in me.  Or I in you.  Maybe we’ll conclude that depth is overrated, and that knowing and being known incurs a little too much risk.  Let’s just exchange a few pleasantries, share a few laughs, and keep it all nice and tidy.  Perfect.

A little too perfect.

6 comments:

  1. OMG! James, I love this post & your honesty. I too am not very good at small talk especially when I know real stuff is going on with me or the other person, but somehow we are still discussing some stupid tv show. I feel like sometimes I can be a little overwhelming for people b/c I cuss like a sailor & can be very in your face with my mess & my frustrations w/ this broken world. I definitely edit myself sometimes so as to not offend. I crave authenticity in myself & others, but I've realized that not everyone is comfortable putting everything out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found and read all of the blog posts and comments today. Thanks to all of the writers for articulating things that a lot of us are dealing with, but don't know how to express.
    When I quit worrying about things out of my control (worry is me holding onto fear of something that God's power has already conquered), my depression shrank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I are at the end of a week long escape to the Colorado high country and I've just found enough 'negative space' in my life to read this blog. I didn't understand the term 'negative space' till now but I love it..

    And In my experience it's the lack of negative space in my own life that keeps relationships surface-y. I can only tolerate so many deeply meaningful relationships anyway, but my wife is my best friend and the normal pace of life can just suck the joy out of our lives if we don't intentionally budget 'negative space'. ( like a kid with a new toy, I'm going to drive everyone crazy with my new 'negative space' toy. I know, too late!)

    Anyway, I love this blog ( my first, btw). I was especially moved that your prayer that night was exactly my own first real prayer to God several decades ago. The dark side is I've prayed it several hundred times since. I almost always get the same answer you did. Sometimes his response is harsher, but our God is characteristically so amazingly tender with us--that still small voice and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing with us. You are vulnerable and real, and that is too rare. Dido goes for Su.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This introvert couldn't have put it better. I often have to fight the urge to go missing before the service starts on Sunday mornings...or not to run and hide once the final "Amen" from the stage has been said. Small talk has always seemed to frustrate and drain me more than the long, deep, hard conversations. I get that sometimes, due to time constraints, walk along banter happens, but in our lobby it sometimes feels like an athletic event! I would get so tuckered out. I know that it was really magnified when I was diagnosed with depression.

    Within the last few months, I've been slowly but surely making the effort to let the Lord work through that. I know I will never be the best bs conversationalist. But by letting myself be available, I have had some amazing talks and prayed for those who truly needed it. I never thought that the small talk could actually turn into a ministry moment...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again....thank you for your transparency and willingness to put yourself out there. I love your writing, and it inspires me to think more deeply than sometimes I want to allow myself. I can do the small talk and I can do the in-depth "real" conversations. In fact, I sought someone out last week so that I could have that real conversation about how I have been feeling. This person and I are not especially close friends, but I trust him since he has been where I am -- I thought he was just the one I needed to speak with. I thank God regularly for the special people He places in our lives, and I thank God for all those special people who make FCC my home.

    ReplyDelete