Monday, October 4, 2010

# 2 - I Give Up

by James Baker

When it comes to romance, we like to toss around a lot of scientific metaphors.  “Opposites attract.”  “They just didn’t have any chemistry.”  “He has a magnetic personality.” “I’m really digging her Pythagorean Theorem.”  When I was courting my wife, Susan, we ‘grew on each other’.  Our wedding night was ‘steamy’.  But pretty shortly...well, like very shortly – like day three of the honeymoon, a new formula began to emerge.  Something like:

1 part low-self-esteem-and-highly-emotional wife
+
1 part low-self-esteem-and-highly-insensitive husband
=
bad marriage

You hear about marriages where people have just grown apart through the years.  Well, Susan and I were fortunate.  There wasn’t going to be years for us to grow apart.  We were blowing up seemingly in a matter of days.  I still don’t exactly know how to define the problem, but what I do know is that we were both miserable.  Innocent misunderstandings became monumental grievances, and hairline fractures turned into deep chasms.  There was constant tension; hurt feelings and bruised egos were the norm.  The little personality quirks that were so cute and innocuous only weeks before were now grotesque and grounds for annulment.

Through all of this, I kept towing the company line.  “Don’t worry”, I’d say, “it’s not as bad as it seems”.  Because that’s what I thought being a spiritual leader meant.  I viewed my role as making sure we were staying the course, ignoring danger signs, and pretending like everything was in order.  But the more I did this, the more it all seemed like a lie:  our premarital counseling, the wedding vows, the Young Life ministry we were leading, the quaintly framed ‘As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord’ that hung neatly in our 200 square foot 1-bedroom apartment…it was all a sham.  Before long, we looked at each other with genuine regret.  It was a mistake.  An honest one, to be sure, but still a mistake.  The thought occurred to us, “We’re young.  We have no kids and no estate to haggle over.  This doesn’t have to be messy.  It’s only a slightly more complicated high school breakup.  Let’s chalk it up to a false start, and still give ourselves a chance to find real happiness.”

Within a mere six months, the angry words had settled into a cold silence, and hostility turned to resignation.  As we lay in bed one night, both crying and both tired of fighting, Susan asked me, “What are we going to do?”  Through my own tears, I said, “I have no idea.  I’m out of answers”.  And then we did the unthinkable.

We prayed. 

It was then, and always will be, the most inarticulate, most honest prayer that I have ever uttered.  “God, we give up.  We have no answers.  We are at our end.”  And almost audibly, I felt God say, “Exactly.  You have nothing to offer to this marriage.  You are broken.  You are misfits that are unfit even for each other.  You cannot fix this.  Oh, and by the way, you are now exactly at the place that I want you.”

I can only point to a few genuine milestones in my life; points at which things drastically turned.  This was one of them.  That night marked a new beginning –  a night of surrender and healing; a night when hope actually meant something.  Though I don’t remember the date, that night was more memorable than my wedding day, because that was the night my marriage truly began.

That was sixteen years ago.  Today, if you look closely, you’d be able to find trace amounts of the low self-esteem and insensitivity that I had entering into my marriage (and by trace, I mean lots).  You’d see that Su still struggles with her own insecurities.  But what you’d be most struck with, is that through all of that, we have a fierce love for each other.  A love that’s survived the minefields of our own depravity.  A love that should have never made it.

When we think of victories in life, we are struck with imagery of conquering some great evil, or emerging from the battlefield brimming with courage.  We imagine ourselves steeled against enemy forces, weathering the worst but winning the day with nothing but a little spunk and five smooth stones.  The greatest battle I’m likely to ever have on this earth – the fight to save my marriage – wasn’t done with skill, cunning, or bravado.  There was no storming the gates with reckless determination.  There was no eloquent speech.  I merely waved the white flag.  I gave up.  And I won her back.

Surrendering to the enemy is one thing, and it's really pretty easy.  Yielding to the Lord is another thing entirely, and one of the most difficult things you will ever face.  It requires brutal honesty, and an oh-so-humbling admission that you are not as self-sufficient as you would like to think.  Is there some place you need to take a stand?  Or do you just need to give up?

Sometimes, it's the same thing.  




17 comments:

  1. This is what we need more of ... transparency that shows us what the light looks like when it comes into our darkness. Thanks for sharing this. Tremendous. Every person in our church (married or otherwise) should read this. Thanks you for having the courage to share it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you James! I remember as the best friend/roommate to that precious insecure girl you were courting and swearing you weren't good enough for our Su! Thank God I was horribly wrong. Thank God for a spirit of surrender!! What a treasure to now worship this same God together as "grown ups". -Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. James I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. James...that idea of totally surrendering...totally giving up...it's a concept that is experienced all the time in recovery. I love hearing about it other contexts; contexts as important as marriage.
    Thanks for sharing your heart. If more people did it, unbelievable things would happen.
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Thanks, James! How encouraging to see that the words "I give up" don't have to mean the END; but, rather, the beginning! Beautifully written, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So emotional after reading this. Mark and I love you both so much. Your marriage and counsel have been such an incredible example of beautiful brokenness. Exactly what the Lord wants. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am new in the congregation and I am bringing the Lord back into my life and even if I don't know you personally James & Su, these words are so encouraging to me. I have waved that white flag and I can feel that wonderful beginning..thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I promised at church on Sunday I would read the blog. I am so glad I did, I can't wait to read the next blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I told you I would vist the blog and it was the highlite of my day. Your honesty and transparency was encouraging and I have sent the site to my daughter and son. Thanks for the being the person you are and I am fortunate to have friends like you

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're are no adequate words to describe how encouraging these words are . . . thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. Thank you for opening your heart. I, too, need to hold up the white flag, it is so heavy. Your words have encouraged me and given me the strength to "let go and let God". I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baker, your story is a true picture of brokenness. But it makes me question my brokenness. I have just recently become a fan of brokenness (it was unfortunately out of God's necessity for my life than any plans of my own - duh).
    Why do I fight giving everything to God when I know it is the best thing I could ever do?
    How do I know when I am truly "BROKEN"?
    All God wants is my heart but I can't even figure out if I have really given it to Him. I know I'm saved by the gift of Christ, that is not the giving I am talking about. I mean, how do I know if my heart is 100% soft pliable clay, and I have asked God to put me on the wheel and now He's workin' me into the shape I am supposed to be instead of the mess I have made of my old, dried up and useless clay? I've been wondering what God wants from me and I've been wondering this much more intensely for the past two years. I am pretty sure I will wonder it for the rest of my life. Or at least question it. So, back to the real question: How do I know if I have really given up and handed the reigns of my life to God? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Handing the reigns to God seems the easy part, but taking them back is even easier. I continue to question God. Does he hear me? Am I really listening? Am I waiting for Him or am I running ahead? How do I know I have surrendered my will to him? How do I leave "me" at His feet?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree...how do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cried when I read this blog. Probably because I am fairly recently divorced, and it still saddens me that "I" wasn't able to make it work and it seemed for the longest time (like over four years...) that God had abandoned me. I know that He did not abandon me and that we have free will, and well....our "wills" just weren't on the same page, and I surrendered my marriage. I've learned a lot over the last several years, and the biggest thing is that I know that I must trust God. He has a plan for me, and in the end I look forward to my arrival in a place where there will be no more sorrow and no more pain. I've learned to rejoice even in the bad times because I know that God is with me. Just wish I had learned this about 25 or so years ago. Might have saved myself a lot of heartache, but then again.....would I be where I am today in my relationship with God??? Who knows, but I am so thankful for the spiritual love and guidance from those at FCC. Thank you James for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such an amazing show of how God works! I wish it all were this clear when you were in the midst of it, but then it can't be. His ways are so different than ours! We are so quick to call this kind of thing a failure and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "And almost audibly, I felt God say, “Exactly. You have nothing to offer to this marriage. You are broken. You are misfits that are unfit even for each other. You cannot fix this. Oh, and by the way, you are now exactly at the place that I want you.” Yes and yes. Thank you for showing us that even Christian marriage can be outside the bounds of scripture decor. For some of us, behind closed doors, marriage can be hard. But in our surrender God can do something transcendent. Love this!

    ReplyDelete