Thursday, November 4, 2010

#7 - Like Juan

by James Baker

Being the impressionable type, I have often latched onto certain personalities that I wanted to emulate.  Growing up, it was my brother, because he was everything I wasnt. Hes eleven years older than me, and even though he has a staunch conservative bent, hes also always had a bit of leftist rebel in him. During his teen years, his hair was mid-way down his back, he was a drummer in a rock band, and he often hitchhiked across the state. Responsibility would later kick in, and at about the age of 20, he enlisted in the Marine Corps. He would regale me with brutish tales of boot camp - how the drill instructors would scream profanities that were both terrifying and hilarious, and how he had been practically handcuffed to another recruit for a full week as penance for a fistfight. He was then, and still is, the toughest person I know. A five-minute conversation with me would tell you that I do not share his fortitude.

As Ive aged, Ive found other heroes, but mostly all for the wrong reason. Perhaps it was their swagger, their sharp wit, or the fact that they could hit a nine iron farther than 110 yards. In recent years, Ive found myself longing to be like those who impact people for Christ. I am fortunate enough (or depending on how I feel on a particular day, unfortunate) to rub shoulders with some incredibly gifted teachers, counselors, mentors, and the like. And while any of them have yet to grace the cover of Christianity Today, they are in my mind an incredibly effective agent for raising disciples. But as I look longingly at these friends of mine, it hits me: I want to be like them, not for Gods glory, but for my own. I look at the way people hang on their words and are touched by their songs. I see the admiration in their eyes as wisdom is imparted that comes as easily as breathing. I study their motions and voice inflections, but my mimickings are a poor impostor. I become defeated. And then I become tired. Tired of trying. Tired of failing.

I often take to the hallways of FCC looking for enlightenment or at least, less talented people.  But there is nothing. Well, not nothing.  There is Juan, of course.  Juan has worked as a custodian at Friendswood High School for many years, and serves the church in a similar capacity. You will find him most every day sweeping, mopping, and polishing every fraction of our 70,000 square feet of floor space. To be honest, hes easy to miss. He stands barely 5 tall and is the soft-spoken sort.

I havent had many conversations with Juan, but every one that I have had involves floorsthe amount of dirt tracked in on a particular muddy Sunday, the type of polish used, how many giant oscillating fans its going to take to dry the most recent waxing. He isnt complaining, mind you. Far from it. There is a gleam in his eye when he speaks about laminate squares and stained concrete. His voice gets a little higher the more he goes on, and he eventually breaks out in a broad grin and then steps back behind the business end of the floor polisher because hes already wasted too much time talking to me.

I look at Juan work, how he does what he does with virtually no recognition. How he works so diligently because he desperately wants to provide a mirror-like finish for the hundreds that pass our doors each week, only to have to start all over again on Monday. It occurs to me as I watch this slightly built 60-year old Hispanic janitor, that I want to be like Juan. Not because I want Juans glory, that is obvious. But theres something else, and Im not exactly sure how to describe it. Perhaps it is his humility. Or his ability to be present in the moment. Or maybe its the simplicity of a life that isnt clouded with petty jealousies and one-upmanship. I watch him hum along with his mp3 player, making steady swaths back and forth, and I smile. Ive found someone else to emulate. Maybe this ones for the right reason.

4 comments:

  1. Again such a good post! Have you read any Brennan Manning? He is one of my favorite authors... I think you would like him... Your story telling reminds me of his writing. Anyways he tells a similar story about a man named Moe in his book Abba's Child... If you haven't read it, you should!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very nice thing to post about someone. Juan, too, has touched my life in a similar way. He is so hard working and genuine. He takes great pride in his handyman-ship. He is talented and his demeanor is amazing.
    Thank you for recognizing one of our very own Super Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you James. Another touching story that brings about reflection about life and Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juan always has a smile on his face! He is happy doing the behind the scenes things at FCC that most of us don't take time to even consider that someone has to do each week. This post makes me realize that I should thank him more often & tell him how nice the building looks! Thanks James for another great post!

    ReplyDelete